THE BIGMAN 5
The BigMan emits sonic imposition, subtlety slaying energy, and kinetic congruousness that encompasses animalistic muscularity and power. The formula for its fabrication essentially comes down to this: take two Big Single coils and stuff them into a Music Man style cover—boom! — an explosion of immense vibe and girth that will surely knock you off your feet. This hum-canceling pickup facilitates powerful, dark, and fuzzy tone through a massive split-coil wrapped around angled pole pieces. In choosing alnico III magnets, the player can slightly soften the Bigman’s intense presence; but be warned, despite whatever minute technical changes you might make to it, its nature cannot simply be tamed with an easy change in magnet choice. The BigMan is not for the faint of heart.
- 2 Big Singles in a MM cover.
- Drop-in replacement MM bass pickup.
- Available in Alnico III or V magnets:
- Alnico III: will provide a blanket of warmth for your pickup, giving it a slightly softer character. Click here to add Alnico III option.
- Alnico V: all around brighter, punchier, and meaner (Standard).
- Laser cut vulcanized fiber bobbins wound with 42 Heavy Formvar wire.
- Potted in a paraffin-beeswax mix to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone.
- Default wiring is Parallel
- We offer three different spacing and cover combinations:
- Soap bar shape with no ears and narrow spacing. These have a rectangular cover and narrow spacing that will work on original Music Man five string: 17.5mm
- Larger shape with ears and wide spacing. These will fit Lakland and other basses with a wide spacing: 19mm
- Larger shape with ears and narrow spacing. These will fit OLP (not the OLP Tony Levin signature model) and other basses with a narrow spacing: 15.25mm
- Custom spacings are available upon request.
*This pickup extends 1/4”deeper into the body than a standard MM pickup.
THE BIGMAN 5 尺寸:
MM5 Wide Shape:
- Length: 4.60” (116.84 mm)
- Width: 1.90” (48.26 mm)
- Length: 4.42” (112.14 mm)
- Width: 1.95” (49.53 mm)
History: The BigMan design came to be through the clairvoyance of an old Nordstrand comrade. The idea came to him in a dream; the bass gods handed to him the visceral embodiment of its tone, making it clear that if its sonic enormity was to ever impact the physical realm, it would be up to him to construct an apparatus that could contain its looming immensity and power. When he awoke, he took the amorphous blueprint bestowed upon him to work, and after a few mistakes and failed models, the BigMan was born. This Nordstrandian comrade of ours has since departed ways from the shop, but his presence—akin to the tonal nature of the pickup he graced the shop with—lives on through the divination that resonates each time a note is amplified by influence of the god-given BigMan.